Monday, February 25

GF Jamaican Black Beans and Rice

Sorry the photo's only available on facebook until I get back to the land of the living wifi.
Photo: Jamaican black beans and rice, you will love this recipe.

My dear friend Lisa, married to Gus, a Chinese Jamaican, shared this recipe with me years ago and I'm just making it now again when I unearthed the recipe from the depths of the file.  It was delicious then and it's just as wonderful now.

2 15 oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
one onion chopped,
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp minced fresh garlic (I use the bottled stuff)
a  hot pepper diced (I used a serrano, but chickened out and threw away the seeds)
1 cup green pepper diced
1 13 oz can coconut milk (I used powdered from the Indian/Asian store--it's cheap)
2 cups ham diced
3 cups cooked rice

Stir it all up, heat it in a crockpot or in the oven in a hot dish 'til hot in the middle.  I left it all day on low.

Serve it with grated cheese, fresh green pepper and sriracha hot sauce (I shouldn't have thrown away the seeds.)  So Delicious!

It's a very forgiving recipe.

To be absolutely truthful, I did the recipe different because of what I had on hand.  My version:  I took 3/4 pound of dry black beans, and put it in my crockpot on low overnight, cooked it with about three times as much water, garlic, ham, hot pepper and a whole onion studded with 20 whole cloves.  The next morning I drained it, added the coconut milk, cooked rice, another onion and green pepper chopped and it turned out great that way too.     However, the diced ham turns completely black, which makes the family pretty intrigued.

Dairy free: DON'T add cheese.


No comments: