Thursday, August 18

GF Bisquick Cornbread

I first made this recipe on vacation when my sister found gf Bisquick for a buck a box on sale. It was surprisingly moist and delicious, so I thought I'd bake it for the girl's group at Bunko tonight.

I started with my traditional recipe,Lorraine's cornbread--how can a gal with 8 celiac kids be wrong?

I substituted the regular g-f flour with Bisquick and it was delicious.

1 cup Bisquick
1 cup corn meal
3 teaspoons baking powder  (REVISED from original recipe to three teaspoons not tbs.)  (Thanks Michelle!!!)
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Put the wet ingredients into a 2 cup measure
2 eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup buttermilk and add regular milk to the top (making 2 cups)

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then blend together until a smooth batter forms. Pour into a 10 inch seasoned cast iron skillet or a spray-greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes just until a tester in the center comes out clean. Overbaking results in dry, crumbly bread.
Reality Bite:
Remember you can substitute milks for non-dairy versions like almond milk and the eggs with egg replacers or flax if necessary. I had to do that when I first started with this diet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
You might want to re-check your measurements, 3 TBS of baking powder is a lot

Anonymous said...

This is excellent! Even moist the second day.

Joan said...

I am assuming that you used gluten free Bisquick for in this?? I haven't tried baking with it yet, but plan on doing so.

Janice Schroeder said...

I made corn muffins from this recipe with a few modifications. I only used one tsp baking powder. I did not use baking soda, vanilla or buttermilk. I used dairy free milk instead. I used gluten free bisquick. These are moist and delicious. I have shared your recipe on my blog gonewiththewheat.net.