Monday, January 21

Faux Shark Soup... GF and Delicious

I ate this in Hong Kong at a party.  They party differently, without paper products and napkins, without utensils to eat with and chairs to sit upon, but it's still great because what is important is the food.  Hong Kong is well known for it's flavorful foods.  At times I prefer to remain ignorant of what is in the dish, but this soup was so good I had to have the recipe.  

So my newest friend Elaine sent it to me.  FYI:  It was at once very apparent that the Chinese people don't use recipes.  She sent photographs of the ingredients to help me find them and I ventured to the Asian food store to find them. 
  • 1 oz, dried shitake, 
  • 1 oz. dried black fungus, 
  • 6 cups  chicken stock, 
  • 1/4 cup g-f soy sauce, 
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger root, 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic clove
  • 1 side of a breast of chicken 
  • extra firm tofu diced into cu
  • 1 oz. dry rice noodles
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon fish oil
  • no shark fin after all

At the Asian stopre I discovered dried sliced shitake mushrooms, dried black fungus (a mushroom I think, also called wood ear) and replenished my supply of tofu, oils and noodles.  I just threw all these together and simmered until everything was soft.  I added cooked chicken and it was YUCK!  Then I realized that I needed to water the whole thing down.  I had neglected to add all the broth recommended and then the soup was delectable.  




No comments: