Tuesday, December 1

Peanut Butter Cookies

LAST POSTED 6-08-08

Here is the best peanut butter cookie recipe brought to our GF Holiday Celiac Potluck from 2008. Sorry, I don't have the contributor's name, but she is brilliant and her recipe  is delicious!

EGG FREE OPTIONS
I have modified this standard recipe before with an egg substitute for a friend who has multiple dietary allergies. I used 1/4 cup flax meal as an egg substitute (Made by blending or boiling 1 heaping tablespoon ground flax with 4 Tablespoons water--then cool and add to the recipe as an egg.)

STANDARD COOKIE RECIPE

1/2 cup shortening (or butter)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg (or egg substitute)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend these ingredients until light and fluffy.
Add dry ingredient mixture:

3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum

1 1/4 cup sorghum
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup bean flour (I used garfava)  OR,    OR,   OR

Just use  1 2/3 cup of gluten-free flour (I used my wholegrain mix.)

Blend together adding just enough of the flour to make the dough gently pull away from the edges of the blending bowl.  Make balls, (I use a melon baller)  place on cookie sheet, press with fork.

Bake 10 minutes at 375. Cool before moving to rack.

This recipe doubles fine. Today, when I doubled it for another party... I KNOW! I need intervention for party goers...!

 But this time I used 2 cups sorghum and about one cup of my healthier  wholegrain mix.

No comments: