Monday, August 22

Healthy Featherlight Flour Blend

This is the flour mix I have been using in my newest (2011) standard bread recipe that everyone asks me for. I mix this up so that I can use three cups of it in Bette's Featherlight Bread Recipe.

Six months into celiac disease and still sick? Exhausted, and lingering symptoms? You may still be getting the same amount of nutrients as you were with diseased intestines. Have you replaced the gluten in your life with g-f nutritionless foods?

Bette Hagman's featherlight mix is only one of my favorite options in a world filled with gluten-free flour mixes. Like most of the commercial g-f flour blends it relys on starches, which are successful--yet nutritionless in baking gf foods. These starchy flours also have the added production benefit of never going bad. There are no nutrients to deteriorate over time. So, if your processed GF food has a shelf life of a year--guaranteed no nutrients.

Here is my choice for a healthier modification of Bette Hagman's featherlight mix. I have used it for a while in Bette's Basic Featherlight Rice Bread and other recipes and it seems to be as versatile as any of the flour mixes on the market today. (I will only link to copyrighted recipes)

New Healthier Featherlight Mix

2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup millet
2 cups tapioca starch (manioc flour)
2 cups corn starch
1 cup sorghum
1 cup buckwheat
3 tablespoons of potato flour-not starch (I blend up instant potatoes for this.)

My celiac mantra? If I'm going to be shoveling it in, might as well get some nutrients out.

And PS I love the above recipe for Bette's bread.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds great. Unfortunately I can't eat potatoes either. Any suggestions?

Terina Dee said...

I have found that when I don't have potato flour, I don't use it and there is not much difference in results. Potato flour (really ground up potato flakes) maintains moisture in a recipe, so maybe a teaspoon of pectin in the mix would suffice.