Monday, April 3

GF Thin Mint Cookies

GF deliciousness in a simple Thin Mint Chocolate Cookie. Fast and easy, literally a dump-together-and-bake it recipe.

Teaching the new D-I-L this weekend how to make the son's favorite cookie ever.  Success.  She has talent so it didn't take much.

I give Gobsmacked all the glory.  For years I have used her recipe to death.  If I had posted a note every time I used her recipe to make a version of her gf cookies, this blog would be subtitled "GF Oreo Obsession."  Pie crust, cake balls, torte, thin mints, standard oreos... I have even converted it to a mix for gifts with a note, "Just add a stick of butter and an egg for cookies."  Type oreo in the search bar of this site and you will get a sampling.

Gobsmacked's recipe really is great, but each time I use it, I have to remember all the tweeks I have made to the recipe to conform to my pantry stores and my quicker method of mixing. After so much modification, I think I can claim that this recipe is no longer original and it is enough different to be posted on my site without infringement. (This is also to help my Mom who can't seem to manage to find the recipe on its linked site.)

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dutched cocoa (dutched is what makes cookies authentically dark, but you choose.)
1 1/4 cup g/f flour (I use my healthier grain mix--but I have used others successfully.)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all the dry ingredients and set it to mix in the heavy duty mixer.  Add the following:

1 egg beaten, 1/2 cup butter softened, 1 tsp. vanilla.

Blend until the crumbly stuff coalesces into a big dough ball. I scoop out smaller balls with my melon baller and flatten with the bottom of a cup layer with plastic wrap to stop the sticking.  Bake at 350 for ten minutes. When they come out of the oven, give a final smash with the metal spatula (in UT called a hot cake turner).

Today I am making thin mints again.  I melt chocolate chips in the microwave, add a drop of essential oil (peppermint) and slather a layer over the bottom cookies.  Then I press them onto a layer of waxed paper so they pull off nicely when cool.  For the top accent, I use a baggie to melt more chocolate chips in the microwave to swirl over the tops.

Maybe next I could add a layer of caramel under the chocolate... Ah the GF Potluck and Christmas cookie exchange is coming!

Last posted 12-23-10

2008 memories:

I'm really into the gift a day during the holiday season. When one gets only one gift per day (like the Jewish tradition) rather than all of them at once, I find that I have the time to appreciate each one more. The first day I got a great pair of winter shoes, (I did order them myself, but still a gift!) the next day I purloined a beautiful neck scarf from the daughter (who will not need it in Hong Kong). I wore it all day and had to stave off people in Park City who tried to buy that piece of artwork right off my neck.

It's been delightful, but the best so far has been the gift from the college boy who made THIN MINTS! YES, the exact thing from the GIRL SCOUT COOKIE MEMORY!

They are delicious. He made them from the Oreo Cookie recipe, then dipped them in melted chocolate mixed with one half tsp. of peppermint extract.


I AM IN HEAVEN -- Happy Holidays!!!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

they look so HOT!!!

Terina Dee said...

Just made these again then left them in the fridge when I packed. College guy NOT HAPPY!!