Monday, August 5

Polenta Pie

Polenta is G-F!  HOW HAVE I GONE SO LONG NOT USING IT?

Okay, I knew, but it seemed to hard to make, hard to use, would require me to step outside my comfort zone.  I had a myriad of excuses.  My Mom In Law has none of those qualms and not only steps out when it comes to new and interesting ingredients, but LeaPS Out With Total Aplomb.

Her recipe modified from vegan-food.net was delicious and I really enjoyed eating it!

One 16 oz. packaged prepared polenta (no homemade!  Round roll found in grocer refrigerated section)
One 16 ox can pinto bens drained and rinsed
One 16 oz. jar of salsa (hotness to your taste)
One can 4 oz can of mild green chiles
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin (optional)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed tortilla chips

Slice the polenta in 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange in the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch baking dish.
Combine beans, salsa, chiles, and spices in a bowl and stir to combine. Spread over polenta, top with cheese and chips, bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

I'm baking it again soonest.  Polenta is no longer alien to me!!!



No comments: