Friday, March 29

G-F Cherry Street Almond Cookies

There is a little coffee shop on Cherry Street in Tulsa that bakes a mean g-f  cookie.  So today I'm trying to replicate their delicious cherry almond cookie.

Tonight is the annual chili and pie cookoff!  There is no remote hope that I will ever win at a chili cookoff.  I  like my chili "New York Style" which to real chili aficionados  that means a weak effort.  Yet, I have come to believe it is also "Peoples Choice".

Reality Bite:  But I have won the pie contest  before -- the most odd pie category.  They called it most unique, anything called GF almost always wins the weird award!

I'm making a Chocolate Cream Pie, NY Style Chili, Jalapino Bacon Muffins and Cherry Almond Cookies.  It's gonna be delicious.

-------CHERRY STREET ALMOND COOKIES-------

This is the standard chewy base cookie filled with dried cherries and sliced almonds, but I've adapted it to meet our GF needs and it tastes great!

1/2 cup butter, shortening or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
11/2 cups GF flour (I used my 8 flour mix)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract (use less if you use an emulsion rather than alcohol-based that burns off)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, divide in half and then whiz one half in the grinder until ground to meal.

I also used the piec-de-resistance... CHERRIES

5 ounces dried cherries, diced.  YUM  (expensive but delicious.)

Dried cherries are so expensive, but for this recipe, so delicious.  AT 12 bucks a pound, I usually expect fruit to not merely be dried, but be covered in the best-quality chocolate.

Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugars and cold butter and then add the egg. Add remaining ingredients but fold in almond meal, almonds and cherries last. Wait 10 minutes for maximum absorption (is that a culinary word)?

I dropped balls from a melon baller onto the cookie sheet, and baked them for 10-12

minutes til light brown. These might require more flour if they bake too flat for your taste.

Delicious!  

No comments: