Monday, June 18

G-F Cinnamon Cranberry Quinoa Salad

Ever had a recipe start out as a casserole and end up a Salad?  YOIKES!  


This recipe  from Stephanie at crockpot365.com just sounded too good to let pass by so I tried it and didn't think it fit my taste so well. 

I was baking this recipe as a gift and I ended up modifying it  drastically.  


I hate to heat up the house in the summer, so first I cooked up this:  

--1 1/2 cups quinoa

--3 cups veggie or chicken broth 
--1 T olive oil
--1/2 t salt
--1/2 t cinnamon
--1/4 sliced or chopped almonds
--1/3 cup dried cranberries

Bake in a covered 9 x 13 pan for an hour at 350, or crockpot it for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.  Just until light and fluffy and the liquid is absorbed.  I made it in my rice cooker so I halved the liquid.  


After it was light and fluffy, I stirred in 

--a really big handful of baby spinach chopped

--1 cup baby tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
--1/2 block feta cheese, crumbled
--1/2 cup more of the sliced almonds, dried cranberries


Still, after it was completed, I found it too bland, and so I poured in a half bottle of

--ITALIAN DRESSING  and threw in a handful of 
--fresh BlueBerries



I served it first at room temperature and then later cold.  IT WAS another great delicious recipe.  

Reality Bite:  Yum!  The young men I served it to really liked it and ate second helpings!  


No comments: