Wednesday, April 11

G-F Veggie Quinoa Cheesy Casserole


This g-f casserole recipe began as Quack (quinoa mac and cheese) recipe on pinterest, but I couldn't resist a few modifications.

Mix together

2 eggs,
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 tsp. seasoning salt (I used Lawry's)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cup dry quinoa, cooked

At this point you could skip to the baking directions and have a lovely dish.  But what if, by doing so, you zoom right by the path less traveled by?  The one that makes all the difference?  So I,


Finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup fresh spinach
1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 of a red pepper

At the last minute, I added 1/2 cup bacon bits because it seems to be my lifelong mission to find a dish  that couldn't be improved with a bit of bacon.  I do try to subdue the urge, but this one was calling for it.

Stir all ingredients well.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup g-f bread crumbs atop and bake in a 9x13 pan for 30-35 minutes--only until set and the crumbs browned.

Reality Bite:  It was delicious and the hubby and I really liked the flavor.  The teenager, not so much.

No comments: