Thursday, January 19

GF Cake in a Mug -- Fast & Easy




GF Cake in One Minute! You think I jest, but I just made a gluten-free cake, stirred it up and baked it in 1.5 minutes in my microwave. It is delicious and it's eaten in about 1.5 minutes! The inspiration came from today's Tulsa World. They have another recipe there for a G-F Blackberry Muffin Microwave Mug Cake from "101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes."

I've been watching the new trend of cake in a cup and I thought that this would be a perfect solution for moms of kids who need an immediate treat for school, and the rest of us who need a treat right now but don't want to be left with a huge cake. AND this would work great for the Wonderful people feeding my missionary son in Alaska who need a single-serve, quick and easy g-f dessert!

Here's how:

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, stir well, pour into a greased microwaveable mug, set microwave for three minutes, but watch. Mine only took 1.5 minutes to rise and set. (stick in a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it's done.) It did blow over the top of my mug, so a larger mug might work better. (Unless you have a teenage who wants that crusty edges to eat.)


4 tablespoons g-f flour (the original recipe used all-purpose flour) I used my healthier featherlight blend
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dutched.)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp guar gum

1 egg whisked (you will use only two tablespoons)
3 Tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Whisk dry ingredients together, add 2 T. egg, stir until moistened, then add milk and oil. Stir until completely blended. Pour into oil sprayed 12-16 oz. mug.

Set Microwave for 3 minutes, but stop it midway and test with toothpick. When it comes out clean from the center, cake's done!

Cool five minutes and cake can be dumped out cleanly from the mug and frosted.

Next: Blackberry Mug Cake... yum.

Reality Bite Update:

I tried the Blackberry Cake in a Mug recipe in the newspaper and I must have botched it!


It turned out two inches high and soggy. (I think I didn't nuke it long enough. Note that I still ate it!)


Yet the chocolate deliciousness was still reverberating in my cake memory so I tried a caramel cake modified like this and it was also too dense and soggy. So, stick with the chocolate until I get another mug cake perfected.

If you know of another way to bake these with a mix, let me know so I can eat cake!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sooo gooood I loved it so did my did my kids.