Thursday, December 1

GF Bean and Bacon Soup

I've been craving a g-f version of Campbell's Bean with Bacon since I got a glimpse of it in the Thanksgiving shopping trek.

Immediately upon seeing the can, I was transported back in time to the day it was introduced to me. The newlywed hubby introduced the vegetarian-raised me to it's raptures and I was never the same. **Campbells is not GF!!!***

It's been years and years since I ate a steaming bowl of that deliciousness, but today I have two butts of ham left-over from the detritus of Thanksgiving and so the thought path is clearly defined. We're going there.

I simmered the butts covered in water with a pound of dry white (northern) beans in the crockpot on high for the day. In the evening, I sauted a mire poix (culinary lingo for a melange of veggies) of 1/2 cup diced onion and chopped celery in oil.

Drain 4 cups of the liquid broth off the meat into a saucepan, add the sauted veggies and blend the whole mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, mixed with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and warm to thicken.


Scoop in the beans and add bits and pieces of the ham and heat again until hot.

Eat it at a card table, serve with EnerG soda crackers and once again relive the simple pleasures of youth.

No comments: