Friday, November 23

Mom's Pie Crust - Made GF

I just went to a famous coffee shop here in Tulsa on Cherry Street and I'm just saying that even when splurging on Amish butter, your pie crust can be tough and YUCK!  So here I go, saving twenty-three bucks per pie and making my own again.  

Cheap and delicious.  And not that hard people.  

pie crust recipe reposted from 2011 and 2016


I've tested everybody's g-f pie crust recipe except Mom's. Today, I'm resurrecting Mom's recipe from the depths of the recipe avalanche and trying it G-F.

2 1/2 cups g-f flour (I used my healthier Featherlight Mix)
1/2 teaspoon of xanthan/guar gum (can be omitted but the crust will be crumbly)
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine

I put these ingredients into my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment and turned it on low until the mix began to look like cornmeal.


I mixed up the following wet ingredients:

1 egg beaten
1 tsp. vinegar
4 tablespoons ice water

I slowly added these ingredients into the revolving mixer until the batch looks like it will form a ball.

I dumped it out, quickly formed it into two balls and rolled them in plastic wrap and cooled it in the fridge for an hour.

I flattened the dough ball and then rolled it between plastic wrap with a rolling pin. I peeled off the top layer and flipped the rest into a pie pan, then peeled the other wrap off. If it cracks, gently push it back together. This dough is very forgiving and it does not become tough. (no gluten!) If I want a fancy edge, I double layer the edge. Usually I just use fork tines to make a edge design (like Momma did). I prick it with a fork for steam release.

I baked it today at 425 for 15 minutes - just until barely browned.

The dough does not shrink, so there is no need to bake it with pie weights. It's beautiful!!!

______________________________


IT'S PI DAY!    And in honor of pi day we're baking pies for our church linger-longer.  It's a tradition in many Christian churches here in Oklahoma and across the nation to stay after church for a potluck and visiting.

Our particular ward just started our first linger-longer last month and it was so successful, (snide g-f remarks aside) that we're doing it again this month.

So I'm taking frito pie ( chili ladled over corn chips--an Oklahoma exclusive as far as I can tell) and  lemon meringue and chocolate peanut butter
cream.  We'll see how it all turns out.

Chocolate ganache layered on the crust then
1/4 cup peanut butter added into the cream filling and whip cream atop.

I haven't perfected stabilization of the whipping cream with gelatin process.   (A work in progress.)




No comments: