Sunday, October 9

Let Me Eat CAKE!!!!! G.F. White Cake


Let Me Eat Cake!!!!!

This recipe is dedicated to my newly g-f dx'd little brother. "Here you go, Ryon. Cake just like the bakery. See, G-F isn't so bad."

1 cup white rice flour
1 cup sweet white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the flour blend and set aside while assembling the next ingredients. I found I should get everything together before I began.

6 egg whites at room temperature

Beat whites on high until peaks form and egg whites stay firm, add 1/4 cup sugar, blend together and then set bowl aside. Remember, for best results, no specks of grease anywhere on the bowl!

In your mixer bowl, cream together:

1 cup shortning (I know it's bad, but should cake strive to be healthy anyway?)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat this until it is really light and fluffy.

In a separate cup, measure out

1 cup whole milk

In a fourth container, mix together

1 cup gf vanilla yogurt
1 egg yolk

Directions Preheat oven to 350. Other g-f cake recipes recommended this whole "butter the pan, flour, parchment paper" thing... I just sprayed a little Pam on the bottom and sides of the pans. It worked. I bought a new cake pan in honor of the day... wrong size. So for me, this cake makes three layers, one nine and two thin eight inchers. (If you are smarter than me, it makes two 9" layers.)

In a very large mixing bowl, I whisked this whole thing together. It sounds complicated, but it can be summed up in one sentence: Stir in flour and milk alternately.

For those of us who need more detail,
First add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well.

Then add half the milk and mix.

Add the next third of the dry and then the last of the milk,

Finally mix in the last third of the flour mix.

Add the yogurt/egg yolk mixture and beat for about 30 seconds to make sure everything is thoroughly combined. (The batter will be thick.)


Scoop 1/4 of the egg white mix into the batter to lighten. Gently fold in the remaining whites until just blended. The mixture looks very airy, light and fluffy.

Divide the batter into the prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes--until a toothpick tester comes out clean. My thin 8" layers took 25 minutes, but my 9" took 40. So be Vigilant!
Cool the pans for 5-10 minutes, just until the cake pulls from the edges. Tip out cakes carefully to cool on rack. If you cool on towels, cake sweats and dissolves. (I found out.)


I refrigerated the cake for 20 minutes before I layered on the first coat of frosting. Between the layers, I slathered on raspberry jelly.

So now, thanks to all the contributions from glutenfreeda, and Amanda, and Lisa and GF Girl, I have a great white cake recipe.

Upon finishing, I thought, "Rather a lot of work!"

Then I sat down and sliced a piece and ate until I remembered why I always avoided white bakery cake in the past.

It's decadent and delightful and sinful and delicious.


Happy Birthday, and thanks for the being the impetus to bake cake.

2 comments:

Rinda said...

THANKS TERINA-

Both of the cakes I made for Ammon's birthday were dissapointing... :( I thought they were satisfactory, but he wouldn't take more than one bite. Maybe he will eat this one! Guess we'll see, I'll try this one for the next birthday that rolls around!

Terina Dee said...

I didn't find out if Amin wnded up not being a cake guy after all? I'm doing Ian's birthday and he's an angel food cake guy. Wish I was a better angel baker.