Wednesday, August 17

Homemade Toffee Bits



Okay, 8 ounces of Heath toffee bits costs $3.75 and today i found out I can make double that much with only two ingredients and a little time.

I took Grandma's heaviest candy pan, the pressure cooker (you know what one I mean) and I put
  • one square of butter (1/2 cup) and
  • 1/2 cup sugar and while stirring constantly (even whisking) I heated until the two melted and combined.

I then stopped stirring and watched while the mixture softly simmered and carmelized. Once in a while I stirred off the bottom and uniformly browned the mixture. When it looked about the right color (internet says 263 degrees, but I didn't want to hunt up the thermometer) I tested it the old fashioned way (a drizzle in a cup of ice water) and it sizzled and hardened nicely. I poured it out onto a jelly roll pan lined with aluminum foil and popped it into the fridge to cool.

A half hour later, I put it in a ziplock and beat it into crumbs. WOW! Cheap and delicious!

This would be particularly delicious with nuts and chocolate melted atop. And it took only minutes.

No comments: