Monday, November 1

Enchilada Sauce from scratch


Today I made easy enchiladas from scratch! I know! No can of red sauce, nothing. Admittedly, I didn't homemake the cheese, but the sauce was magnifico!!!!!


I'm never rolling them up again. My corn tortillas always rip anyway. Today I laid in sauce on the bottom of the 9x13 pan, laid on a corn tortilla layer, next a fried ground beef layer and then a cheese layer and repeated four times. I baked it a half hour at 350 to firm up because all the ingredients were hot.

For the sauce, I used one of those dry dark Ancho chilis (you have seen them in the ethnic aisle of the store and have wondered what to do with,) and put it into my blender with an onion, two cans of tomato sauce, 1 tsp. ground red pepper, two tablespoons of dried green peppers (I was out of fresh) and blended it up. It didn't look as bright red as Walmart's red sauce, it was a deeper red. I simmered it for about 20 minutes and added water to thin to the right consistency.

It was too hot and too spicy at first, but as it simmered and mellowed (and I remembered to add the 1/2 tsp. of salt,) the flavor at the front came together and the spice at the end wasn't as strong and as I said,

Magnifico!

Okay, okay, it's not as easy as the Walmart brand red sauce, but it is mucho deliciouso.


No comments: