Thursday, November 18

Chinese Almond Cookies



The eldest, honored daughter is moving soon to Hong Kong for eighteen months on a mission for our church and I'm hosting her open house/farewell the day after Thanksgiving. The food for the farewell must be Chinese themed and of course, gluten free. There are some great recipes I found online that suit the purpose nicely.

( I can't make this note start in normal font. I've tried twice to delete and reformat? I guess my feelings (totally freaked) is coming through on my blog. Sorry that it looks like I'm yelling at you.)

I found one for fortune cookies, only to have the daughter tell me that these aren't native to Hong Kong China, but Hong Kong Cafe in California.


I'm serving my easy rice pudding but is that really Chinese? Now she's suspicious of my entire menu! But these are for real and really good.

Chinese Almond Cookies Recipe

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/3 cups of almond flour,
  • 1 cup of butter, chilled
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of almond extract
  • 1 3/4 cups of g-f flour (today I used Bette H's featherlight)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Thinly sliced almonds

METHOD

1 Place the almond flour, salt, and butter into an electric beater with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for three minutes. The mixture will become course and chunky looking.

2 Add one of the eggs, reserving the other for later, and the almond extract. Mix on low speed until just incorporated.

3 Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking soda then add to the butter mixture at low speed. Mix until just combined.

4 Make the dough into a roll and wrap in plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator for two hours to chill.

5 Preheat the oven to 350F.

6 Slice the dough and place on cookies sheet with a slivered almond onto each cookie and lightly press it into place,

Bake for 8 minutes or edges just being to tan. Remove immediately from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Makes 5 dozen

I modified this recipe for GF from

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chinese_almond_cookies/

No comments: