Family who served church missions in Honduras and Nicaragua are eating at my house, so we're cooking gallo pinto. YUM! It's a full-protein meal with the legume/grain mix. Tasty and healthy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 3 cups white rice cooked
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Serve with a dash of fresh cilantro, green onion and sour cream atop.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until it just begins to soften and turns color.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden.
- Stir spices into onion and garlic and add the rice and beans and heat until mixture is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with tortilla chips