Sunday, May 30

Calypso Corn Salad


A summer party, outdoors, cool evening, calypso band, flip-flops around the swimming pool, a corner bar, what could make the party really perfect?

In a perfect Caribbean world? A G-F Menu?

I very nearly got one! I went to this great party, delighting in the music and ambiance, and wound my way past the partiers into the kitchen where I accosted the caterer. She was very knowledgeable and went through the ingredients of every dish.

The mango guacamole was GF,
The chicken skewers were GF, as well as the sauce, cilantro and olive oil.
The black bean dip for the plantain chips gf??? YUP!
The corn salad was GF!

I was in g-f heaven. And the caribbean party was a delicious success!

P.S. Rumor has it that Outback is test-serving coconut shrimp (GF) at some of their restaurants. I can't wait!!!

Here is a recipe for Calypso Corn salad. YUM!

1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 of a medium onion diced
1/2 of a green pepper diced
1 small cucumber peeled, diced
1 large tomato diced
1 stalk celery diced

3 T. mayonnaise (I used a new olive oil mayo - less fat)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Carribbean Calypso Seasoning (Spice House)

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/caribbean-calypso-seasoning Here is an ingredient list for the spices in the corn salad. Spice house is returning my call on the certified GF status.

No comments: