Tuesday, October 13

A Plethora of Almond Puff Pastry


I love to go to a celiac's house for a party! It's always so delicious and safe!!! Tonight I went to an open house and sampled a "newbie's" gf offerings and I am so impressed.

She served peanut butter bars, and lemon squares, and a most delectable dessert. This delicious almond puff is one of the most fabulous desserts I've tasted. It was textured like baklava in layers, yet chewy and so, so delicious.

I had to clamor for the recipe, but here it is.

Ok it at least makes me feel good that people are clamoring… even if it is only one person ~ my gluten free wonder women.


Almond Puff

½ cup butter

1 cup gf flour I used a mix of {Bette Hagman's} feather light and 1/2 c. quinoa flour

dash of Xanthan gum

2 tbsp water (I only needed one tbsp.)


Heat oven to 350 degrees

Cut ½ c butter into the flour and xanthan gum. Add water over mixture and fold and pound into ball. Divide dough in half. Pat into 2 strips on a jelly roll pan about 12” x 3” about 3” apart.


In a medium sauce pan bring

½ butter

1 c water to a rolling boil


Remove from heat and quickly add 1 tsp almond extract

1 c flour -- again 1/2c feather light, ¼ cup quinoa, ¼ cup almond meal-flour and a

dash of baking powder


Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball about 1 minute. Remove from heat.


Beat in 3 eggs until smooth.


Divide dough in half, spreading half evenly over strips covering completely.


Bake 60 minutes. I baked it less, I think about 45 minutes. Until top is crisp and brown,


Cool then glaze and sprinkle with almonds.


Glaze: 1 ½ c powdered sugar

1 – 2 Tbsp warm water. Mix until smooth, add 1 to 1 ½ tsp. almond extract.


Ok here ya go enjoy making them and of course eating them.. ~~Lori


I should have known the openhouse would be delightful and delicious because even before she was ever diagnosed, my friend showed great potential as a GF baker. She was the inventor of last year's Christmas Pineapple Stuffed-French Toast! Delicious!

Thanks Lori, you were always awesome, but even more so gluten-free.

2 comments:

Steph said...

You have no idea what this recipe means to me. This pastry was what my mom always made, and what I make each Christmas Eve for my family. Today, I was stressing about how I was going to make it this year in a gluten-free way. This is exactly what it should look like, and the recipe is almost exactly the same! Thank you for helping me keep tradition alive for my family. Mom will be so proud of me!

Terina Dee said...

Steph, I couldn't recall this recipe and now I know why! It's my dear friend Lori's adaption. Isn't it wonderful that we have one another to buoy us up!

You do that with your blog and we all benefit. Thank You!!!