Wednesday, September 30

GF Cheese Puffs - Gougeres


Today I make these again! I stumbled upon a different recipe and thought, let's do it again! This recipe calls for more flavorful ingredients, mustard and pepper, but the basic recipe for a petit choix dough is the same.

1 cup water, 1/2 cup butter, bring to boil, stir in 1 cup rice flour, remove from heat after dough forms a ball. Add eggs one at a time.

This recipe called for five eggs, I stopped at three. The dough was tending toward runny today. At that point I added a 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 cup asiago cheese grated. These baked at 425 for 30 minutes and were so gorgeous and delicious, they are gone! NO PHOTO AGAIN?????

But I did take a photo of the cheese and room temperature eggs. (I did not remember that they like being warm in this recipe, and yes, I did consider-- yet reject-- using body heat.)




I have made these before I was ever GF and I clung to the old recipe from Sunset Magazine. I am newly inspired to make them again, but I will be tempted to leave out the cheese and fill the puffs with whip cream, top them with powdered sugar and eat them until I pass out.


1/2 cup butter, 1 cup milk, 1 cup rice flour, 4 eggs.

I used asiago cheese. I've never used milk in these before and this first batch turned out too runny and the puffs started out flat. (Note for next batch: Revert back to water, add more flour - enough that it pulls away from the pan into a ball and then add less egg.)

GOOF PROOF FIX: To perfect the batch I was in the middle of making, I put the batter back onto the fire to thicken up while I stirred it quickly. and when it was thicker, I dropped it by spoonful onto a cookie sheet and put them into the oven. They did bake in about 25 minutes. Do not use glass baking pans, only metal to conduct better.

The boys snarffed them up as they came out. Flat ones and all. When the youngest remarked that they would be even better buttered, I cuffed him.

No comments: