Monday, July 20

Turnip Au Gratin?


Turnips, Yuck? I've always kept them at arm length, but living in the country means that neighbors who are successful gardeners are always dropping by homegrown vegetables. Today it's a sack of turnips, so I scanned Recipezaar looking for a tempting recipe to modify one to GF.
I sliced and boiled them for 2 or 3 minutes then layered them in an 8 inch casserole dish with 1/8 tsp. minced garlic, a dash of salt and pepper, a thick sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some sliced mozzarella. Lastly I poured some heavy cream and almond milk (edging near expiration) over the top. I'm going to toss buttered GF bread crumbs on it after it bakes at 400 for 45 minutes.

We'll see how it ends up.

Turnips, I still say yuck. But the official taste tester, NaTasha, the niece, liked it just fine.



No comments: