Wednesday, November 14

Gluten Free Grandma's Heavenly Custard Cream Pie

For Thanksgiving!   I'm too busy to repost people.  After Thanksgiving is over, I will post my preparations.   For now, I'll just repost the ones I'm making myself.

reposted Sept 2013 for my husband's birthday pie:
first posted as a pie crust recipe on 1-7-2009

GRANDMA'S HEAVENLY CUSTARD CREAM PIE FILLING
2 1/2 cups milk 
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar

Mix together and microwave  about three minutes (no longer using the tedium of the double boiler method) and whisk every thirty seconds until really thick and creamy. Add 1 teaspoon clear vanilla and cool under a film of plastic wrap.  
Finally after a Holiday trifecta, I achieved success! The pies were delicious.

I made crusts from Bette Hagman's (Praise be her name) Comfort Foods, Featherlight Pie Crust Recipe. (can't breech copyright, but here's a link.) I was so impressed with the ease.

And with the salt container correctly marked and the sugar reinstated as predominant, the Razzleberry Rhubarb was to die for, the pumpkin was smashing, the lemon meringue was fantastic and the homemade banana cream marvelous.

The fillings are not too impressive, for the most part taken from the back of the can, and side of the package label, but the Banana Cream is Grandma's homemade and it's delicious.

BANANA CREAM PIE made with bananas and
GRANDMA'S HEAVENLY CUSTARD CREAM PIE FILLING

2 1/2 cups milk 
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
Mix together and microwave (no longer using the tedium of the double boiler method) and whisk every thirty seconds until thick and creamy. Add vanilla and cool under cover.

Pour into baked pie shell layered amid bananas and top with fresh whipping cream!
It's heaven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the copyright thing--about not putting recipes from cookbooks online, but I'd love to hear what makes Bette's so good. Roger rogsmi@aim.com

Terina Dee said...

It's the mix of flours in featherlight. I can give that recipe here because it can be found online. Bette uses equal parts of rice, tapioca and cornstarh to make her featherlight. Ex: 1 c 1 c 1 c. And then adds 1 Tbs. potato flour to retain moisture. Good Luck baking! Terina