Saturday, March 4

Chicken Tortilla Soup Mix

I needed a quick soup for the service event and this one fits the bill great.

I made up this recipe from the back label of a great purchase from a gourmet farmers market in 2010.

Try it.  Replicate your favorite purchase --and save bucks!   Remember, food manufacturers list ingredients from largest to smallest.

Good Luck!









-----------Chicken Tortilla Soup Mix-----------------------

2 T. chicken bouillon
1 t. onion powder
1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour w/lime)
4 T. powdered cheese (like in Kraft Mac & Cheese) (or 1 cup sharp cheese chunks)
¼ tsp. oregano,

1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup nonfat dry milk,
1 tsp. parsley
1 t. minced garlic
½ t. chili powder
1 t. lemon pepper
½ tsp. dry cilantro

Add MIX to

1 can diced chicken or 1 c. shredded cooked chicken

1 can diced tomatoes

1 cup milk (powdered or non-dairy creamer works great)
4 cups water

Heat to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes stirring often. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream or diced avocados.

Reality Bite: Or in a pantry pinch, serve it all by itself. It's delicious.
__________________________________
First posted 12-4-08 More Mixes for Christmas

GF Mixes for soup, spice mixes.

My daughter, away at college, can't wait for her care packages. She wants GF Mixes from home.

Don't forget the appeal of quick mixes for friends. I sent a basket to a basket swap and it was the prize gift.

These seasoning packets are really great and this soup mix is really fabulous.

_________________________________________

I haven't pulled together many soups for Winter, yet we love them.

(Unless you count the one I threw together the day we left Utah out of leftovers--ham, quinoa, broccoli, onion, cauliflower, spaghetti sauce-- from the refrigerator. That one was another once-in-a-lifetime gastro-piphany. Delicious! Anyway...)

While it's nice to fly home from vacation in two hours instead of driving here in 20, the home cupboards are still just as bare and until I go shopping, there seems to be naught to eat! Yet, without a visit to the grocery, and in just two minutes I can mix up soup and then merely wait for it to heat.

I can't seem to get into the jive of January cooking yet--too much cooking done over the holidays--yet family still has to eat. Phew! So I'm rooting out the staples and the easy mixes that I already have made up.

My Kind of January Cooking!


3 comments:

Sabeys said...

I WANT THIS!!

Sabeys said...

bwaha. I made it the other day in my crockpot. it was mega good.

Anonymous said...

chicken tortilla yummy i forgot thanx for reminding me.