Sunday, January 20

Makeup and Drugs--A G.F. necessity

Hey, I just got started getting it out of food and now I hear I'm supposed to remove it from my drugs and makeup! http://glutenfreedrugs.com/

I wonder how much of a risk makeup can be? I read on one site that the wheat molecule is too large to penetrate the skin, but I am the lipstick queen. I've been known to pick my brand because it surpasses all other in the wash-in-the-back-pocket test. Even in childbirth, I labored au natural, (without makeup) but the labor coach's primary job was to apply the lip smoother. I sometimes find myself habitually applying lipstick and then jaunting off to bed and so I am sure that I am eating my requisite 4 pounds a year (a different site).

I snagged a list of what to avoid on makeup lists and spent two hours of my consultants time reading the fineprint ingredients:

The medical relations department of a major cosmetic corporation wrote this: "The ingredient information below has been evaluated for those with Celiac Sprue and provided using our best efforts based on our current knowledge. Although we have attempted to be complete, because of the vast number of ingredients we receive from different sources, it is not possible to guarantee that our products are completely gluten-free. Additionally, the information below may change without prior notice, as we introduce or modify products. Ingredient listings can be found on our packaging material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Please consult with your physician for guidance.

The following are examples of gluten ingredients, to the best of our knowledge, should be avoided: Barley, Dextrins, Hydrogenated Soy Glycerides, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Hydrogenated Tallow Glycerides, Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Sunflower Seed Oil Glycerides, Wheat Amino Acids, Wheat Bran Extract, Wheat Extract, Wheat Germ Glycerides, Wheat Germ Oil, Tall Oil Glycerides, Maltodextrin. Other ingredient information to be aware of:--Alcohol Denat.: source usually synthetic, but cannot guarantee not from a grain source.--Colorants: May utilize a grain ingredient in the manufacturing process.--Citric Acid: May utilize a grain ingredient in the manufacturing process.--Millet: May need to be avoided, pending further research.--Oat Flour: cross-contamination can occur during processing of oat and wheat.--Glycerides, monoglycerides, diglycerides, and triglycerides: May contain a potentially wheat-related carbohydrate chain used as a binding substance in their preparation.--Flavor/Flavour/Natural Flavoring: products containing flavors should be avoided."

Whew!

But then I learned that there are websites dedicated to identifying gluten in makeup: http://www.glutenfreecosmeticcounter@blogspot.com and things just got easier. For people with DH, (Dermatitis Herpetiformis) avoidance of gluten on skin and hair is even more important.

No comments: