Thursday, September 8

GF Tripleberry & Rhubarb Crisp

G-F Yummy Nut Crust

I baked this recipe first in 2008, and this is proof that either my baking or photo skills have improved.

I have refined the recipe a little with my education of new grains. So here is the improved recipe.

In my blender I put
  • 1/2 cup almonds,
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal (g-f) and
  • 1/2 cup g-f flour (I used my wholegrain flour mix).
I whizzed it on high until all the almonds disappeared and the mix became a flour. I added the following
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
and then cut in with a pastry blender
  • 1/4 cup butter and then add slowly
  • 1-2 tablespoons half-n-half
Mix lightly just until lumps come together and a dough ball forms. I pressed 2/3 of it into the bottom of a 9x13 pan, and baked it at 350 for about 10 minutes.

FILLING: In a saucepan, mix together and boil 2-3 minutes.
  • 2 cups frozen rhubarb
  • 2 cups frozen triple berries (bluberry, raspberry, blackberry mix (Sams Club)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
Pour over the hot crust and crumble the remainder of the crust atop and bake about 30 minutes, until the top begins to set and brown lightly.

Serve hot or cold with cream. Delicious!



First Posted 6-16-08

The father is the only one in our family free of the symptoms of this disease and he eats what the rest of us eat. (Usually without complaint.)

However, I don't bank too much on him being a very good gauge of my cooking skills as he has eaten my food experiments for decades and has proven he has cast-iron tastebuds.
But this crisp from last night is delicious. I promise.

Crust
1 cup almond meal (made by chopping whole almonds in the blender with a touch of rice flour to prevent it becoming almond butter)
1 cup GF flour
1 cup sugar
4 T. butter or margarine
1 T. cream or nondairy creamer (mixed up with water)

Press 1/3 of mix thinly onto the bottom and sides of a glass 8x8 dish and bake at 350 10 minutes.

Mix 2 cups rhubarb, 1 cup blackberries (or marion or raspberries), 1 cup sugar 2 TBS modified or regular corn starch. Dump into hot crust and sprinkle rest of crust over the top.

Bake at 350 45 minutes to an hour or until crust is lightly browned and fruit is soft.

Serve hot or cold with GF icecream of course.

No comments: