Thursday, October 13

GF Dosa is Happy Bread

Do you think there is a thing for bio-calendaring food?  I find myself over the years with this blog seeking and reposting the same recipes at the same time of the year, same day of the month, and oddly enough, same birthday.   

Here we go again, Indian food in the Fall.  Yum


REPOSTED from 5-23-2013

Family is coming to visit to watch our homeschool Shakespeare show, The Taming of The Shrew.  That means in addition to sewing four capes, ten hats, two pair of pantaloons, two dresses, two vests, two skirts, and three pair of boots/covers,  I'll be feeding two vegetarians, two celiacs and four abysmally normal eaters.


I'm pulling out old recipes like this one and looking for some new ones.  I think I might even try this wrap bread recipe from Living Without made from lentils and rice.    Let you know how it goes.  http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/Gluten_Free_Lentil_Crepes-1583-1.html?ET=livingwithout:e126976:83436a:&st=email&s=p_rotw050913i


First posted on 10-19-11


When a person has celiac disease, every morsel put in the mouth has to be extra nutritious! We just don't have the intestinal fortitude (HA!) or energy for superfluous foods!

I made the bread for Mr. Darcey's 50th birthday party from a recipe proposed by my friend, Kent. He makes it using the true Indian method, but he gave me hints and tips for cheating the long fermentation process.

Here is a link to About Recipes' Dosa video if you want to watch a video!



I used the same recipe,

1 part (1/3 cup) urad daal (black beans skinned) (My asian store had these.)
3 parts (1 cup) idli rice (Asian store)

Rinse these grains and cover with water overnight. (I just learned my asian store has the flours already ground and even mixed together, but for g-f purity, I soak and blend my own.)

Flush and rinse again in the morning and whiz in a blender until smooth batter forms.

Add 1 teaspoon yeast

I stirred this all together then let it sit on the counter, stirring it down every few hours until I was ready to cook them in the evening.

ADD SALT

before cooking, add one to one and a half teaspoons salt. Makes about 20.

Cook in a skillet like pancakes. We had such success with this that the guests ate all we cooked, but for one and the son popped it into the toaster for breakfast. Still delicious.

For lunch, I took the remainder of the batter out of the fridge and cooked up some more and they were delicious! I don't know how long the batter would remain viable in the fridge, but I'm going to try the recipe again soon.

The bread was flexible (foldable for sandwiches) and easy. And dipped in MINT CHUTNEY! HEAVENLY!!!!

Reality Bite: People, this has both grains and legumes and like many ethnic foods, these countries have learned to be healthy by combining the two foods to build a whole protein. Let's eat healthy.




1 comment:

Sabeys said...

how important is the rinsing? Also the 8 hours? How about... 5 hours? (We're about to find out!)