Tuesday, December 10

G-F Sugar Cookie Recipe

2015 GF Christmas Sugar Cookies

Christmas Sugar Cookie with peppermint frosting

GF Valentine Sugar  Cookies

 Today's batch.  Makes 32 (counting eaten ones)

First posted on Sept 8, 08.

Today I'm sorting through the avalanche of recipes that gave into nature laws and cascaded off my cookbook shelf.  I've been collecting for years, and today is the day that I'm stuffing them all together into one file. 

I'm flinging the ones upon which I've scrawled the warning, "never make this again!" 

Why, I wonder did I keep them to begin with? To preserve and revisit the agony? 

Watch out, I'll be blogging the good ones.  This is Great Grandma Harritt's favorite (adapted to become gluten-free of course).


                   Grandma's Great Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup cold butter     Use a paddle in your mixmaster and beat with
3/4 cup sugar    Beat until fluffy then add
2 eggs, and
1 tsp vanilla      Beat until light and fluffy

Then add dry ingredients that have been sifted together

1 tsp xanthan gum
(or chia/flax seed, ground)
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups GF flour - any flour mix will work. (I used 1/4 cup coconut flour in the last batch and that worked well.) 

1 tsp baking soda

Today I used my wholegrain flour mix which is just a mix of g-f flours that are diverse enough to give a great outcome to any baking recipe.  

Use your personal favorite. I recommend Bob's Red Mill, Better Batter, Jules--whatever.  I have used sorghum flour in this recipe also.  Just use enough to make a dough ball that pulls nicely away from the bowl, not too dry nor too soggy.

Grandma's original recipe said "ADD 'TIL MAKES A DOUGH. She expects us to know what a cookie dough looks like. Light, fluffy, not too stiff or dry.  Remember to add gf flours and let dough sit for a minute to fully absorb moisture.

Chill dough and roll out cookies on a skiff of rice or sorghum flour to prevent STICKAGE. I roll between plastic wrap and that makes it easy to peel off , cut and place on cookie sheets. Place 1/2 inch apart on baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes.

Frost with favorite GF frosting.
_________________________________________________________

 11-12-11   Scrooge Christmas Musings

Hey, Christmas post, but no new photo -- I'm too busy today. Here's an old one from Valentines.  

The holidays scramble is coming! And I hate it. The same people who admired my Scrooge/Marley costume at the Halloween party suddenly--overnight even--find it blasphemy.

I harbor a secret wish that purchasers of any Christmas related items before Halloween, may be auto-tasered at every store exit.

But after the 31st of November, I'd better be transferring my evil thoughts to planning for holiday baking and the visions of sugarplums to make the whole season more appealing for everyone.   


Reality Bite:  If Momma Aint Happy, Aint nobody happy!  

No comments: