Wednesday, January 17

Inflammation Reduction the Delicious Way--SUPER TONIC

Spring Is The Time To Make Supertonic

Most supermarkets stock the "bitter herb" for passover and so horseradish is readily available without special order.

(Update clarification:  Actually, my Jewish resource, Jay, corrects me that the bitter herb is a green leafy like parsley dipped in salt, but horseradish is still part of the ceremony.  It was his preference that it eaten as a flavor enhancement (obscurer)  for gefilte fish.)

I've recently found that my fancy-schmancy food markets stock horseradish all the time and so now tonic is not so seasonal!

WINTER CONGESTION be gone--daily draughts of this will clear the mucus in the chest.  Thank goodness we had this to rely on this winter because we nearly choked to death on the congestion bug.   See the past Flu story here.

But it's not only for clearing the head, but for healing the inflamation in the body and specifically the gut.  I have a friend who suffers from a form of arthritis that responds well to this tonic.   No pain.

Lately I'm all about reducing inflammation.  I know my digestion has been in stalled in neutral and I need to get it back in full-function mode and supertonic is a great fermentation way to get it going.

Great article on arthritis and inflammation http://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/turmeric-and-anti-inflammatory-herbs#Overview1


The best was to improve all my auto-immune function is diet and so I'm back to the spicy-heat method.  Because health is all about that (food) for me.

SUPER TONIC

Last week the Asian children visited (my two adult children that each served two-year church missions, Dia in Hong Kong and Ian with the Hmong people in Alaska) and they were all about this "tonic" that was touted to treat all ills in their respective cities.  My research is that it promises to reduce inflammation in the body.  We went to visit friends at the lake and COINCIDENCE our hostess had just made a big jug of "tonic,"  using the same recipe!

1 32 oz. bottle of Braggs Natural Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 onion chopped finely
1/4 cup ginger root chopped finely
2 tablespoons turmeric
1/4 cup garlic cloves chopped
1/4 cup horseradish root chopped
1 habenjaro pepper chopped

Mix and shelve for 28 days (one full moon cycle according to the Hmong people of Alaska.)   Sieve through cheesecloth and squeeze all fluids out.   Consume at least a tablespoon a day.  Should last at least a month.

Unless you are my mother-in-law, who loves flavor and spice and already consumes apple cider vinegar for her digestive health--she'll be making this by the double batch!

It blew my socks off and anything that strong has to be good for you right?  I have a curious craving for it though and find myself licking the blender jar.


So we started a batch and we'll let you know how it goes in a succeeding reports.

No comments: