Friday, February 7

GF Empanadas

Gluten-free Empanadas, chewy crusts with delicious filling dipped in maranara sauce.  Great!

I began with my college boy GF Pizza Crust recipe--mixed it up and then pressed 1 1/2 inch balls of dough flat onto plastic wrap.  I filled them with a tablespoon of empanada filling, folded them over and forked the edges to seal.

Baked atop a hot pizza stone at 350 about 15-20 minutes.  

FILLING:  Saute
1 cup diced onion and
1/2 lb. ground beef until brown and stirred in
2 tsp. cumin,
1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

 I spooned a scoop of beef mixture onto the center, used the plastic wrap to fold the dough in half and then crimped the edges with a fork to seal. I coated each with cooking spray, poked with a fork, then lifted each onto a heated pizza stone at 350 degrees F. It took about 20 minutes to bake and brown nicely.

 Can be served with a marinara dipping sauce.

Stromboli:
If you fill them with a chicken/brocolli/cheese filling, they are called stromboli. I wonder what these would be called in China (With the daughter having served a mission there, the query is never too far from the edges of my brain.)

Deliciolista! I do love food superlatives!




No comments: