Friday, August 26

G-F Apple Caramel Bars


I do not bake desserts exclusively, but it does look like it from my blog posts.

If I ate all this stuff, I'd be huge. I bless the day mission-bound guy moved back home so he can eat all the experiments I'm baking.

It doesn't help to have Betty Crocker as my facebook friend. Today it's a g-f modification of her recommendation of a recipe on the DebiCooks blogspot.

G-F Apple Caramel Bars

Debi's recipe calls for a package oatmeal cookie mix so to make it g-f I used:
  • 1 cup GF Bisquick (or a version of Bette Hagman's homemade cheaper mix),
  • 1/2 cup sugar and
  • 1 cup g-f oatmeal - whizzed in my coffee grinder to equal 3/4 cup
mix these together.

Into that cut, with a pastry blender,

  • 6 tablespoons butter and then drop in
  • 1 egg and stir until crumbly.

Press that mixture into a 9x13 pan--reserving 1 1/2 cups for the topping. Sprinkle
  • 2 cups apples (I used granny smith) chopped fine. Then stir together
  • 3/4 cup carmel topping with
  • 2 Tablespoons rice flour and drizzle that mixture over the apples
Sprinkle on the reserved topping and pat down lightly. Bake at 350 20-25 minutes. Cool a couple hours to firm.

Reality Bite: I wonder if using Betty Crocker inspirations to create a recipe using a General Mills product is breech of some copyright law?

But to further confuse the attorney's, I used SimpleRecipes.com to make the caramel sauce?

No comments: