Wednesday, July 16

Buckwheat Peanut Butter Bars

Last posted 2-23-11  Still Chewy and Delicious.

Old recipe, new flour. GF Peanut Butter Brownies, Delicious, gluten-free and a very close relative of rhubarb--yup made with buckwheat!

Okay, the Grainiac in me is again excited about Buckwheat! Why are we always so trepidatious...
[A side conversation about words:  "Trepidatious. It's not a word?" --me. "No Mom, it's not, you are experiencing trepidation"--Dia, the G-F English- major-headed-for-Hong-Kong daughter. ]  Hey, I'm inventing new words and new recipes, so the courage does tend to slough off into my fashion sense, my hair color, and consequently, my blogging. But the daughter says no, this time it won't work--I can't invent new words.

Okay, okay!!!!! Anyway,

Why are we cautious about using new flours? Most of the store bought (pre-fab) gluten-free food is pretty bad, so do we really expect our creations to taste worse???

Yet still, I have to be low on other flours before I am encouraged to switch to a new grain and that's what happened, so I'm exploring buckwheat.

This recipe (the tried and true stalwart dessert of the pinewood derby) again turned out delicious and I substituted the flour straight across--cup for cup with buckwheat!

I halved the recipe and it still made two pans.

½ cup peanut butter
½ cup butter (margarine)
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Sift together MIX
1 cup of a GF flour (in this case, buckwheat)
½ tsp soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp xanthum gum (guar)
Then add
1 cup GF oatmeal or flaked quinoa and
1/4 cup milk (casein free milks like almond or coconut substitute fine)

Bake in a 9x13 inch cake pan. 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, just until the center sets.

While hot, spread with peanut butter. Wait to cool and layer on chocolate frosting.


This time I put the batter into a 9x 13, and an 8x8 and baked them for 25 and 15 minutes, respectively, until it smelled up the kitchen and turned toasty tan on top at 350 degrees. They were as chewy as I like, and there were still persons (who shall remain nameless) that ate three big pieces. Delicious!

No comments: