Monday, June 7

Spicy Mung Bean Soup

Turmeric is a fabulous anti-inflammatory--just what celiacs--and those that suffer from other intestinal problems need! I'm on a search for more turmeric infused foods (other that the shot of v-8 in the morning with a tablespoon in it. Wowzers!)

Spicy Mung Bean Soup

1 cup dried mung beans (I set to sprout those that would, and those that wouldn’t, I boiled to soften)

2 cups cold water (I used chicken stock)

½ tsp. turmeric

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp garam masala

1 TBS canola oil

1 medium onion chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

2 or 3 large onions chopped (I used 2 cups diced from a can)

2 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced

2 serrano peppers (I used one)

1 cup sour cream

½ cup minced fresh cilantro

Salt to taste

Lemon juice

Boil the recalcitrant, unsproutable mungbeans for 15 minutes until they soften. Add other sprouted beans, Add tomatoes and the combined spices. Simmer on low while sauteing onion in canola oil until soft, add garlic and ginger. Add to simmering beans in the pot and add a leftover chicken breast, diced if wished.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro if you remembered to buy it at the store when you were so consumed with remembering the fresh ginger and garlic cloves…

It was hot and I only used one pepper. Beware.

But the husband loved this recipe!

No comments: