Wednesday, April 14

Egg-free Gluten-free Bread


My ventures into allergen-free baking aren't through the normal avenues of necessity--more often it's forgetfullness.

Today's venture is an eggless bread because I started baking without remembering that Easter was last week and therefore the garage refrigerator stash of eggs were boiled.

So today's bread is egg-free -- still due to necessity.

The recipe is the standard Sorgham/Quinoa/Millet but I have replaced the three eggs with 1 cup water and four tablespoons of flax meal.

I boiled the two ingredients together one minute while stirring briskly. The result was a gelatinous mass of slime that's texture reminded me of eggs.

I added it after I let the yeast proof and then added the wet ingredients to the dry as usual. See Bread Baking Hints and Tips for further details.

It's raising now, so I'll let you know how it turned out.

Can't recommend it for longer than a daily bread. It was delicious the first day, however...
This eggless variety crumbled after a day, but made delicious croutons! Diced and sprinkled with garlic, parsley and salt and dried in a low oven for an hour or two. Magnificent.

No comments: