Saturday, May 1

GF Taste of Home CRISPY PB FUDGE TREATS

It's all in the name.
Reposted from 5-22-09

I'm looking for more recipes that are GFCF and so I've picked up an old Taste of Home (2000) recipe book to give me some ideas.  I'm gonna revise one off each page...  Let's see, page one, or  rather page eight, is where the recipes start...
 
Okay, maybe not.  

It's not until page eleven that I feel inspired.   But this is it!  Crispy Fudge Treats sounds like the recipe I've been searching for since grade school.  I remember the lunch lady leaning over with one elbow on the counter and reciting, "six boxes of rice krispies," and after that I lost track. The bar had a milk chocolate soft fudgelike consistency and was delicious! I would've traded my baby brother to a classmate every time they offered fudge crispy on the menu.

This recipe was rather simple.  It was a cheat, cause it was almost natural GF/CF recipe, but here goes.
  
6 cups rice krispy cereal or crushed pretzels
1 cup corn syrup
1 3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate  (I shoulda used milk) 
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/3 cup GF/CF margarine or shortning
1 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt all ingredients except vanilla and krisps in a quart size microwave dish for one minute, mixing well.  Add vanilla, pour over cereal and mix.  Then press into a 9x11 pan and refrigerate.  

Unfortunately, it turned out too dark in flavor for my imaginings (bittersweet being milk free) and now I've started this idea, maybe I'll halve each new batch.  

Because with my fail ratio--me cooking, it could possibly be that the boys won't even finish it and I'll be stuck eating it all myself.  

This week with each bite I'm remembering grade school and what used to taste like.

Next, Pigs in Blankets.

2 comments:

American Homemaker said...

I made treats almost just like these the other day :)

Terina Dee said...

Wow! Great minds...! I worry that I'm sharing mine and that in each handover, my memory falls out. T.