Wednesday, October 7

GF Delicious Breadstix

 Still the best bread sticks that I've ever baked GF or for that matter, not GF!  Delicious!   If you want this recipe straight out of Bette's Cook Book, see link at the end.

Here is the recipe I have used .

1 cup rice flour
3/4 cups of gluten-free flour (my wholegrain flour blend (try using any g-f flour that you prefer.)
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon buttermilk powder (or nondairy substitute)
1/4 teaspoon clear gelatin powder
1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon dough enhancer (or vinegar)
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2/3 cup warm water (more or less)

Combine wet ingredients separately and slowly add to dry while blending on medium high, until  fluffy dough results.  Spoon it into the ziplock bag, squirt out onto a cookie sheet, raise til doubled and bake as directed below.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes 'til just browned and soft in the inside.

First Posted 6-25-08 and then 6-12-12.

I've been innundated with requests for this recipe and over the past five years, I have modified Bette Hagman's (Praise Be Her Name) recipe enough to post it--yet still, hers is better.  If you are a purist go buy her book, you won't regret it.

Okay, these are worth spending the entire afternoon--well, at least 15 minutes to mix and 10 to rise and 20 more to bake anyway. Hot, delicious breadsticks compliments of Bette Hagman's (Praise be her name) cookbook.
I followed her recipe exactly--(except using brown instead of white rice flour) from The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread. I started with the French Bread/Pizza Mix as she does and in a half-hour. Voila! Gourmet breadsticks!

I'm not including it because I can't find it on the net and I won't breech copyright. Buy the book! It's worth it.  The Baking Beauties web page has no such qualms, so you can find the detailed recipe there.  

Tip of the day, because forming breadsticks is so different from gluten-filled, I used Bette's hint and squeezed dough from a (freezer strength) Ziplock (trust me!) to form. YUM!!!!

2 comments:

Jenna Jean said...

Those look yummy!

Anonymous said...

wow, good looking BREADSTICKS? yay!