Monday, July 3

GF Lemon Bars


Updated shortbread cookie crust link. https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=544438




RePosted from 7-14-11 


Family Reunions!  I love them and didn't realize how much other people anticipate the food that I bring to these reunions until this year when at two different reunions, I was asked why I had not brought specific things.

AS IF I EVER REMEMBER, what food I bring to anything from the day before!  That would be miraculous.  So, I promptly went home, made lemon bars and gaspacho soup and took them to the next party, where the guests recalled with salivatorial joy the fruit pizza from last year.  Oh Well, Can One Never Win? 

In spite of the disappointment, once again, they managed to lick the platter though.  Delicious!

  
Recipe update: July 2011-- I have made this twice since the initial invention and when I made it this weekend for the family reunion I pressed half a batch of the recipe for (Living Without's shortbread Lintzer cookie recipe) into the 9 x 13 pan, which I had lined the pan with wax paper. The crust does not expand, so make your own judgement as to how thick you want it.

I baked the rest into shortbread cookies, but be very careful not to overbake these. They do not brown without added sugar atop. If you bake them too long, they will suck the moisture out of your mouth like sand in the Sahara and they crumble like it too.

2012 Update:  Raspberry Rhubarb filling!  Is Yum!

Back to the story:

The wax paper allowed the bar to slide out easier when it was cut and served. I baked the crust until just browned around the edges and while it was hot, I added the filling. I cut the sugar a little--I do love a tart lemon bar.
--------------------------------------------------------best of luck with yours.

First posted 3-4-11.

This recipe took honorable mention in the dessert contest at the church chili cookoff tonight.
I think it's a keeper!

4 eggs and 2 egg yolks wisk until frothy, add
2 cups sugar, (I cut it to 1 1/2 for tartness)  blend well, add
1/3 cup rice flour,
1 cup lemon juice (4-6 fresh squeezed)
1 Tablespoon lemon zest

I mixed this up and poured it over the prebaked crust (Living Without's shortbread Lintzer cookie recipe) in a 9 x 13 pan and baked it for 30-35 minutes (until the center is set). Cooled then dusted with powdered sugar, it tasted so good that I'm certain it has absolutely no redeeming nutritional value. But boy, was it delicious!

I've been told to bake lemon bars in a foil lined pan and after it's cooled, lift the entire thing out and then slice and peel the foil off, but this one didn't stick to the pan too badly.

No comments: