Friday, March 20

Flax Foccacia Bread

My gluten-free vacation's highlight was flax foccacia bread.

For me, vacations aren't. I mean, vacations are really just a change of venue, 'cause the cooking and cleaning just continues... forever, but while I was on this "vacation" (in a whole new venue) this week my sister and I spent time researching this whole celiac/diabetic thing.

And you will not believe this! We made bread with only one carb! The recipe was from a lowcarb website and tralah! It's gluten-free too! I didn't expect to love it or to feel I needed to incorporate it into my recipe files but here it is and it's delicious. It's a very earthy blend and I love the texture. It's a little reminiscent of pumpernickle.

The fabulous chef (Mom-in-law) is experimenting on it with molasses and I really think there are unlimited possibilities. She says it's true, that her blood sugar didn't move one iota and she ate three pieces!!!!

The website uses it for muffin basis and pizza even! Check it out at http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/ website!!! View the insiteful comments too.

The recipe:

2 cups flax meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 t. salt
5 eggs.
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil (I used 2 tbs when the first batch turned out kinda greasy.)
1 Tbs. honey

I combined wet and dry ingredients and whisk both well. I added them together and whisk again and while the mix was still flowing well, poured it into a greased 10x13 pan. Waiting a few minutes makes it more difficult to spread.

I baked it at 350 for 20 minutes.

This has made me feel that I'm going to try upping the flax percentages in all my baked goods.

My caviat:

Now, we all know the wonderful properties of flax and I personally have eaten a third of the pan without suffering any ill effects, but I do consume lots of high fiber foods so proceed with caution.

Picture will appear when I get off vacation and can return my camera to it's original resting place.

1 comment:

Neko Carrillo said...

is this the bread you suggested? i'm going to try it tomorrow am! no crazy GF ingredients that blow my mind! *hugs*