Wednesday, March 15

G-F Caramel Turtle Pie



Thanksgiving Pie! I'm headed to another party--this one with new neighbors who think celebrating with pie on Thanksgiving is not gratitude enough. My kind of people!

Baked a g-f crust, layered in chocolate ganache, filled it with Grandma's vanilla pie filling and then topped it all with whipped cream, toasted pecans, caramel and more chocolate.

I hope it tastes as delicious as it looks. If so, I promise to find time tomorrow to post the recipe.



It was the belle of the pie ball. And I had to sneak a piece home for the photograph.

Reality Bite: I've got to remember to take my camera to these events--not for the people, but for the desserts! (Gonna be Awkward.)

I lined it with 1/2 cup of this ganache recipe and then cooled it in the fridge for a half hour. When the chocolate lining was solid, I filled it with the cream pie filling.

Then I topped it with real whip cream prepared as follows, inside a ziplock with the corner cut out.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar (the cream of tarter in powdered sugar helps keep the volume)
1/2 tsp. vanilla.

I used another 1/4 cup of the ganache inside a ziplock with the corner cut out to make the squiggles. If it gets too stiff, nuke it for another second or two in the microwave.

I used some leftover caramel icecream topping, but it was too thin for the topping and I was afraid it would melt into the pie. So, I put it in a microwave bowl, splashed in 2 tbs. heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of butter. I nuked this for about 1 minute until a drop of it candy tested (dropped into ice water) at about soft ball.

I cooled this and then drizzled it over the top of 1/2 cup toasted pecans.

No comments: