Sunday, February 20

Best Hamburger buns ever

Even days later, these buns are the best gluten-free bread I bake.  However, the recipe is a little ingredient intense.  But in the foodie world, the new challenge seems to be complexity, so away we go.

Jules photo.  Read disclaimer below. 
 
Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients together first.

1 1/2 cups almond flour  (not meal - blanched flour)

2 Tablespoons coconut flour

1 teaspoon guar gum

4 Tablespoons psyllium husk powder  (this keeps the bun moist days later!)

6 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds (ground--I use the green ones because I have them.)

2 Tablespoons raw sunflower seeds (ground-- I save some of these for the top.)

1/4 cup flax (ground into meal--golden or brown, both are miracles for gf baking)

3 teaspoons baking powder  (Yes, I know, that's a tablespoon.)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 cup g-f flour mix (any kind will work--in a pinch I've used plain ground rice flour.)

WET

6 eggs

2 Tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon ACV (apple cider vinegar)

1 cup hot water 


Hand mix wet and dry ingredients together and stir well.  Fill muffin tins or bun sized pans to the rim.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have them.  I store my seeds in the freezer to keep them fresh longer.  

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes for muffins,  buns, 25-30 minutes.  Until a probe inserted comes out clean.  

This recipe makes a full muffin tin of 12 typical sized muffins or 24 small muffins.   It makes 6 big hamburger sized buns.  It all depends on what pan you use.

I have never attempted to bake this recipe in a loaf pan.  I'm scared that the interior temperature would be soggy while the exterior burns.  But it is a very forgiving recipe so TRY IT!  Let me know how it goes.  


First of all, apologies to Jules for using her photo.  This is how the bun recipe looks like this, but I have never taken a photograph of them because we eat them too quickly, so that is a reasonable facsimile.  



No comments: