Monday, May 8

PIZZA, BEST PIZZA CRUST (Thus Far)






    Delicious Pizza that stands the test of time... meaning that I just unearthed a package of this mix deep in the bottom of the freezer (cleaning day) and I whipped it up, pressed it out, baked it and we are again eating delicious pizza.

(Don't ask about college guy's samurai haircut and the pirate patch.  He's an enigma.)

Last posted 1-28-09

Pizza Flour Mix
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
1/3 cup dry milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 T. dry egg solids
1 1/2 tsp. xanthun gum
1 Tbs. egg replacer (optional)
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 T. corn starch or modified food starch (I used MaxiGel)
1 t. lecithin

TO MAKE PIZZA Recipe

2 cups of the pizza flour mix
2 egg whites
1/4 cup canola oil
2 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 TBS olive oil
3/4 cup warm water

Mix these ingredients together and then pat onto a pizza pan. If you want it thinner, pat onto a greased 13 x 17 jelly roll pan. Remember to bake half way (about 10 minutes) before you add the toppings.

My newest success! PIZZA!

I am so tired of trying every mix out there and being disappointed. I figure that I can mix up my own failures cheaper than using any mix.

But... But... I tried once more. Deep in the furthest depths of the pantry, I stumbled on a long-forgotten mix that I purchased while I was traveling through Utah. AND THIS IS IT!

I love this mix. It has a strange consistency when mixed up. Kinda like a flubber, but the crust was crusty, not flat, browned nicely and not soggy! This is pizza crust that can be picked up and tastes so close that the boys agreed, "It's the best yet!"

Unfortunately, when it is gone, it is gone,

and while I wait for the order to arrive, (Blue Chip Foods http://www.glutenfreebcg.com/) I took the ingredient list and tried to make my own from the amounts listed and this is what I came up with. It's slightly different dough texture, but it really is delicious.

The key might be the baking method. I bake it by setting the pizza pan on top of a heated pizza stone on the top shelf of my oven (top shelf might not work in yours--unless you too have an old, crusty oven). Heat the oven to 500 then reduce the heat to 400 to bake.

But try it! And once again test the Celiac Creed: "One fabulous success is worth yet another potential failure."

Pizza Flour Mix
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
1/3 cup dry milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 T. dry egg solids (or an egg I guess)
1 1/2 tsp. xanthun gum
1 Tbs. egg replacer
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 T. corn starch or modified food starch (I used MaxiGel)
1 t. lecithin

TO MAKE PIZZA Recipe

2 cups of the pizza flour mix
2 egg whites
1/4 cup canola oil
2 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 TBS olive oil
3/4 cup warm water

Mix these ingredients together and then pat onto a pizza pan. If you want it thinner, pat onto a greased 13 x 17 jelly roll pan. Remember to bake half way (about 10 minutes) before you add the toppings.

NEW Addition! Then slide the pizza off onto your preheated pizza stone! That makes a delightful crusty on top and bottom pizza!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! I'm a new admirer of your blog and also living GF. I'm glad to hear you've found a pizza crust that works well and your family loves! It looks yummy! Just in case you're ever feeling pizza crust adventurous again, here's my all time best GF crust recipe our family LOVES! It's pretty simple & requires fewer ingredients. Thanks for sharing your recipes, it's always great to come across GF finds other people have already tested out. :o)

Terina Dee said...

Yikes Karen, your pizza recipe didn't link. Try again, I would love to taste it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much it is so hard to live GF but still so yummy!