Friday, June 28

Yum Healthy Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookies

So if you haven't noticed, I make up recipes from what I have on hand.   I'm the lady that's googling, ranch dressing, au jus packet, chicken and pepperocinni.  (Thanks to my friend Valarie, that recipe is coming...)   Today's cookies are what I had on hand when the husband begged me for something sweet.

It's been nine months since I ate refined sugar for fun so it's been nine months since he had my cookies.  I've been avoiding refined sugar for my health and it's not been easy, but the joint-pain relief has been worth it.  I'm not OCD about it, but I'm avoiding any dessert with added sugar.    Thanksgiving and Christmas were hard, but not impossible.  I'm shocked how much sugar I was eating.

So I'm trying out new recipes that might taste great and are less sweetened, but I'm also cheap, cheap, cheap, so I'm not into sweetener substitutes.  Chemicals freak me out, (so I'm using powdered protein and superfood powder--go figure) (It's my complexity that grants me charm...) and I've been too busy to do a really in-depth sugar substitute study.  This recipe has no added sugar, that is not to say that this protein powder and superfood powder are sugarless--they do have fruit but balanced with protein, so I use them sparingly.   So the added carbs are real, and this is a cheat for my keto diet. 

6 dates pitted    blended with
3/4 cup boiling water until relatively smooth.  Add
2 Tablespoons superfood powder  (I found this at Costco.)
1/4 cup protein powder (Costco too.)

1 cup peanut butter (I've used almond butter, and it tastes less peanutty, but doubles the cost.)
2 eggs 
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used dutched.)
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

I just popped everything in my Blendtec (used three times today) and blended until it was smooth.

I scooped it out with one spoon and slid the dough off with another spoon.  On top I dropped some semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Then I baked the dough on my silicone sheets at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  

It made five cookies, of which I ate two.  The rest of the dough is sitting in my refrigerator enticing me to heat up the oven and bake the rest.  NO.

What I have discovered in the past nine months is that I am stronger than cookie dough.

These cookies turned out delicious, tender and not dry.  (I'm also avoiding the word moist.)

LOOKING FOR TRUE KETO?  

I modified this recipe from one my great daughter-in-law found on peacelovelowcarb.com  and hers is truly keto.  Thanks lady for making me think outside the box. 


1 comment:

Sabeys said...

I just accidentally traded the eggs for 1/3 c veg oil. And they still worked?!!