Tuesday, March 17

GF Carrot Cake

ITS FALL!   And I have lots of green tomatoes, so it's either fried green tomatoes or... 

Party Cake!  

 Repost from 10-17-17
I'm using the last of my green tomatoes to bake this for a friend's farewell party.  It is so delicious.  What will I do when all my green tomato puree is gone from the freezer?
I'll have to attempt to make it without the green tomato puree or perhaps I will try tomatillas?

Blend together:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup Greek yogurt
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup green tomatoes pureed
 (or store bought hard unripe tomatoes)
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Sift these dry ingredients:

2 3/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used my healthier grain mix)
1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger

Spray/grease two 9" pans or a 9x11 cake pan.   Preheat at 350 degrees.

Beat the two mixtures together only until blended.  Spoon into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a tester poked in the center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes, remove from pans, frost with a cream cheese frosting.

******************************
***********************
***************



Last posted 3-31-13 and I need to post it again!  We ate this recipe this weekend at the family reunion and once again, it was a gluten eaters heaven!  They love it, I love it, it is a delicious recipe no matter when you eat it!    YUM!

It's Spring, Easter and time to make Carrot Cake again!
Here is the photograph from last year, 2012,  hopefully the result this year will be just as beautiful--but reality usually intervenes.  It still tastes delicious.  So here goes.




Last posted 8-19-2009
I once distrusted carrot cake--all those suspicious orange flecks floating around. I can take them in stir fry and in soup, but in my cake? No! Thank you.
Being GF has really forced me (the desperation factor) to broaden my food perspective. One fall morning, facing too many unripe green tomatoes, I googled green tomato recipes and discovered this treasure. For my husband's birthday, I baked him Bette Hagman's GF carrot cake recipe.

Wow! A gastric epiphany! I now freeze green tomato puree in 1 1/2 cup increments over the winter to make this delicious cake.

This week I again made the best carrot cake in the world, compliments of Bette Hagman (Praise be her name). The only alteration I make to her recipe for Prize Winning Carrot Cake is to lower the oil by two thirds and substitute plain yogurt. Bette uses her featherlight mix of rice, tapioca and cornstarch with a dash of potato for the GF flours.

This year it proved to be still too high in caloric values for the reformed mind of the health-conscious husband, so I'll have to eat it all myself!

This cake is always successful and delicious! So say the GF and non-GF testers with whom I shared it.


Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 TBS milk

Beat, beat, beat, til the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread over cake and refrigerate to set (and to hide it).

2 comments:

trishtator said...

This sounds *and looks) delicious.

Terina said...

Trish, I'm looking forward to stalking your blog for Type 1 recipes. My nephew is type 1 and CD also. Thanks for commenting. Terina